Saturday, January 28, 2012

Halloween 1974 (Tiny Drawing Poem)

I got my Halloween costume in 1974 from Ben Franklin's. It was indeed Batman. Adam West TV Batman. The font here was the hardest part because I wanted to use Batfont, which emulates the pows and biffs and sock-os from the show, but it didn't match the somber nature of the poem. We finally decided the Carbon Type typewriter font was the most appropriate. 

In 1974 my family moved from Freeport, Illinois, to Byron, Illinois, and occupied an A-frame house my uncle Wesley had built on the ominously named Devil's Lane. My uncle and his family had seven children, so the house was huge. Our time there was short, but full of memories, as I was just starting to form my personality, but my most vivid memory is of Halloween, 1974. The usual rumors of razor blades in the apples circulated early, although no one on "The Terrace" was even giving out apples that year. There was an icy rain, and I remember asking my mother about the telephone wires, and she explained how all the voices of the world were transferred into signals and carried across those wires. 

I have a lot of unanswered questions about who we were as a family then, but there's no one left to ask. The poem expresses that longing to be able to talk to her again. 


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon.. My name is Lívia and I have read and really liked your poem. I made a drawing whose theme was Batman. I would like to put part of your poem in this drawing .. with your permission .. and of course, putting your name and the address of your page ..
    thank you
    Livia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my permission to do so. I can't wait to see it. Thank you.-Thomas

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon.. My name is Lívia and I have read and really liked your poem. I made a drawing whose theme was Batman. I would like to put part of your poem in this drawing .. with your permission .. and of course, putting your name and the address of your page ..
    thank you
    Livia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.. How can I send you dhe drawing? Do you have a facebook profile.. I'll post the drawing at Facebook and send the link to you.. OK? Again.. thank you very much!!
    Lívia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thenks.. How I can send you the drawing? Do you have a Facebook profile? or an e-mail?
    I'll post the drawing at Facebook and send the link to you, OK?
    Again, thank you very much!!
    Lívia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks.. How can I send you dhe drawing? Do you have a facebook profile.. I'll post the drawing at Facebook and send the link to you.. OK? Again.. thank you very much!!
    Lívia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.facebook.com/thomas.vaultonburg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Link with the drawing..
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402817709801897&set=a.108536442563360.17316.100002210139887&type=1&theater

    thank you very much..
    Lívia Teodoro

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets